Microsoft OCS Launch Day
October 16, 2007
Well at last it’s finally here. The Quickening!
Ok, Ok.. now I sound like Tom with his Braveheart quotes. For those who recognize it, I was referring to the original Highlander movie…
No. What I’m really getting at is that today is the official launch of Microsoft’s OCS 2007 unified communications solution.
Much has already been written about this impending launch over the past year or so, so perhaps there will not be any real news in today’s news. However, I imagine that valuable information regarding customers, partners and the like, will indeed make the headlines today.
I’m also waiting for Tom Keating’s take on the solution. His review of OCS 2007 is set to be published later today
TMC president Rich Tehrani is actually fortunate enough to be at the launch event in san Francisco, so I can’t wait to hear his up close and personal take on the day’s events.
And of course, the TMC team will be covering all the different angles of the story as well.
I’m at the BroadSoft event in Phoenix through tomorrow, and I’ve been getting some interesting feedback (too bad most is off the record) from attendees regarding the launch. As I mentioned in yesterday’s entry, it appears there are two camps forming: the “wait and see” group and the “Microsoft’s entry into the market means a rising tide, which is good for all boats.”
I was drawn to a comment I read in old friend Dave Greenfield’s blog regarding the opportunity for Microsoft and how the software giant might fare against their would be competitors:
“As long as communications means UC and UC involves the desktop, organizations will favor Microsoft.”
And that’s a key way to view today’s news; through the eyes of the enterprise buyer. The success or failure of Microsoft’s foray into communications rests in the hands of the enterprise decision makers who choose what applications will run on their enterprise networks.
In any event, stay tuned. Today will be a busy day!
Tags: Microsoft, ocs, Unified Communications, VoIP
Search Technorati: Microsoft, ocs, Unified Communications, VoIP
Related Tags: Microsoft, microsoft, today, launch, enterprise, regarding
- Related Entries
- More Thoughts on Microsoft's OCS - Oct 22, 2007
- Lots of Microsoft News - Oct 16, 2007
- Broadsoft Connections: Guy Kawasaki and Microsoft’s OCS? - Oct 15, 2007
- Nortel Looking Forward to Microsoft OCS Launch - Oct 13, 2007
- Microsoft Announces Response Point Availability, Pricing - Oct 02, 2007
- Rich's Take: Aspect's Unified Communications Play - Mar 10, 2008
- Digg on the Block? Again? - Mar 07, 2008
- Siemens Launches OpenScape Unified Communications Server - Mar 03, 2008
- Google Gets Into Healthcare - Feb 29, 2008
- Google Targets Microsoft Collaboration Suite - Feb 28, 2008
Listed below are links to sites that reference Microsoft OCS Launch Day: