October 2, 2007
Paul Budde Communication has released a report entitled, 2007 North America — Telecoms, Broadband and Mobile Statistics providing information on North American telecommunications.
Below are several stats from the report’s executive summary focusing on Canada and the U.S.
- During 2006, mobile subscribers increased by approximately 10%, compared with a 17% increase during 2005.
- Broadband subscribers reached 7.7 million by end 2006, placing Canada ninth in the world in terms of broadband penetration.
- Drivers include the rapidly increasing growth of VoIP services: Cable VoIP experienced significant subscriber growth in 2006, growing from around 270,000 to nearly 1.1 million subscribers.
- Broadband continued to experience strong growth, with broadband penetration exceeding 50% of households.
- At current growth rates, the number of DSL subscribers is expected to exceed the number of cable subscribers during 2008.
- Verizon is leading the deployment of FttH networks, with the number of U.S. communities being connected by fiber growing at approximately 100% per annum.
- VoIP continues to grow rapidly, reaching approximately 16 million subscribers by end 2006.
For more info, check out Budde