If you haven't been paying attention, you will have missed the fact that Verizon Wireless is investing like mad around the US to improve their mobile network. The quality of the wireless network was amazing to begin with and now this. VZW puts out a release every few days about a new region they are enhancing.
Perhaps all wireless companies are spending the same amount but if so they are not taking advantage of the free publicity that comes with putting our frequent press releases on their progress.
In my experience, companies who put out frequent releases do better than those who do not.
The more the editors in the world see your name surrounded by positive news the more likely they are to write nice things about you.
If you have any doubts, read to the end.
Today's release is about improving the network in Kansas, Missouri and Southern Illinois.
This is really good stuff and will certainly help Verizon Wireless customers. Moreover it allows the company to keep its distance from the traditional commoditized minutes business some of the others in this space are engaged in.
Here are some quick facts on what the company is up to:
- Over the past five years, Verizon Wireless has invested nearly $528 million on improvements to its network in Kansas, Missouri and southern Illinois including the following upgrades made in 2007
- 164 new cell sites were activated region wide to improve network coverage and capacity
- Equipment on 92 existing cell sites throughout Kansas, Missouri and southern Illinois was upgraded, which further improved network capacity.
- 56 permanent backup generators were installed at Kansas, Missouri and southern Illinois cell sites to ensure network functionality during times of crisis
- The company expanded its Evolution-Data Optimized (EV-DO) third-generation (3G) wide-area network to 18 counties in southern Illinois and nine counties in southeast Missouri.
- Verizon Wireless Increases Connecticut Customer Service Reps in 2007
- Verizon Business's Managed LAN Introduced in Europe, Middle East ...
- US Mobile Operators Can Minimize Impact of Market Saturation, says ...
- Delaware State Officials, Verizon Protect Children on the Web
- Verizon Sues Charter Communications for VoIP Patent Infringement
- Verizon Wireless Enhances Pennsylvania Network by Investing $235M
- Major Service Outage Affects North American BlackBerry Users