Truphone Local Anywhere is likely one of the more revolutionary products/services you will see this year and consists of a single-SIM, multi-country mobile service that will make any mobile call within the set of supported countries a local call. It combines technology with roaming arbitrage and as company CEO Geraldine Wilson says is, "The ultimate phone service for people who have an international lifestyle."
If you find yourself in a situation where you are carrying around multiple SIM-cards or are getting charged high roaming fees, this service which will be available later this year is worth a look. Wilson tells me this service is about keeping you local and on one Truphone SIM.
Here are some features and cost savings touted by the company and an audio interview with me for more:
- Number portability of existing mobile and landline numbers to Truphone;
- Full service multi-language customer support;
- Ability to manage their Caller ID (CLI);
- Competitive rates on domestic calls, SMS, and data in home country;
- Low cost international calling to the world from any Truphone Local Anywhere-supported country;
- Up to 80 percent savings on roaming charges when visiting other countries;
- No roaming surcharges to receive calls in most major destinations;
- TruFriends - providing even lower calling rates to call to other Truphone Local Anywhere customers;
- Additional "virtual" country mobile numbers to seem 'local' in another country so friends/colleagues can call at local rates.
Oh and if you are interested, here is Geraldine's bio:
Geraldine Wilson joined Truphone in October 2008 after almost two and a half years at Yahoo!. In her previous role she was responsible for growing the ISP's broadband and mobile business in Europe, her remit including business, marketing strategy and operations. She joined Yahoo! from Vodafone where, among others, she held the key positions of Chief Commercial Officer for Vodafone Sweden, and Managing Director of UK Content Services for Vodafone UK. Before that, she was Managing Director of Vizzavi UK and Director for Prepay at Vodafone UK where she was responsible for the successful launch of the company's "Pay as you Talk" proposition. In total she brings more than 20 years of product, marketing and sales experience in the mobile and telecoms industry to her new role.