Here's a photo of my beloved 2001 Dodge Viper at a Cape Cod motel before it was totalled by a 24-year old pharmacist one month after I sold it to him.
Anyway, the sampling data is sampled as many as one hundred times per second, to get a detailed picture of your car's acceleration. This information is then used to determine the speed of the vehicle and the distance travelled. The site explains that due to the unique hardware integrated into the iPhone, this can all be done with no setup, wires, or extra equipment like traditional accelerameters.
According to their web site, "Unlike other accelerometer-based performance meters, Dynolicious uses the advanced data-handling and display capabilities of the iPhone to make the most of your performance testing."
Further, Dynolicious maintains a history of test runs, showing you averages and trends in your results. Dynolicious also allows you to enter modifications performed to your vehicle, and will instantly show before-and-after results to easily identify gains or losses.
Here's some screenshots:
- 0-60 MPH
- Other Speed Tests (0-10 MPH through 0-100 MPH in 10MPH increments)
- Quarter Mile Elapsed Time
- Quarter Mile Trap Speed
- Elapsed Time and Trap Speed for standard intervals (60', 330', 1/8 Mi, 1000')
- Lateral G's (current and peak)
- Braking G's (current and peak)
- Wheel Horsepower
- Estimated Engine Horsepower
- Realtime Speedometer and Graphs
- Realtime graphical skidpad display
- View results for latest test run or any saved run
- View averages based on vehicle, date, or modification
- Compare results between vehicles, dates, or before-and-after modifications
- Rollout 0" to 24" (separate settings for 0-60 and Quarter Mile tests)
- Stores vehicle weight and drivetrain efficiency in your vehicle's profile
- Calibration routine gets the maximum accuracy possible with the built-in accelerometers
- 0-60 MPH: +/- 0.08 sec*
- Quarter Mile: +/- 0.10 sec*, +/- 1.5 MPH*
*Results based on preliminary testing. A detailed accuracy analysis using professional timing equipment at a regulation dragstrip will be posted soon.