With Super Bowl Sunday fast approaching, it’s not surprising to hear about how sports fans are driving HD television sales. According to a new survey "Inside the Mind of the HD Sports Fan" conducted by the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA) and the Sports Video Group (SVG), these same fans more readily adopt new technologies that quickly deliver sports content than non-sports fans.
The survey was unveiled at the first TV Sports Summit held at the 2006 International Consumer Electronics Show (CES) earlier this month, as reported by Millimeter’s HD Focus newsletter today. Highlights of the survey include:
- Nearly 60% of high-definition television owners consider themselves sports fans
- Nearly 50% of HDTV owners cited HD sports programming as the primary force behind their HDTV purchase
- Sports fans said their favorite sports to watch in HD include the Super Bowl (78%), World Series (44%) and college football bowl games (41%)
- 39% of HD sports fans are extremely disappointed when a sports event they want to watch is NOT in high-definition
- 65% of HDTV sports fans say sound is an important component of their sports viewing experience