I still am not certain there is a market for such converged USB mice with built-in microphones, speakers, and VoIP support. It certainly is gadgety, so gadget lovers might want one. I fall under that camp, so I certainly might want to check it out. It certainly is something to show and brag about to your fellow gadget freaks. "Yes, but can your mouse do this?"
The VM-01L mouse "rings" on incoming calls and also supports a headphone jack for privacy. Though somehow trying to move the mouse around with a dangling headphone cord may be a challenge. They claim the microphone and speaker are acoustically isolated to eliminate echo, enabling a full-duplex experience. It has a very good 48KHz sampling rate for good sound quality.
The monochrome 128x64 pixel LCD can display your VoIP Contact List, Call List, Call history, time, and Caller ID. I do see one problem with the design. When you open the clamshell and look at the LCD and keypad, they are upside down. You have to turn the mouse 180 degrees in order to read the screen, but then you lose the ability to easily use the mouse. On the bright side, when you are talking with friends, girlfriend, wife, significant other, etc. using VoIP, you won't be tempted to check email or IM someone else on the side. You will be giving your significant other your undivided attention. Still, I wish they'd reverse the layout and give me 10% of any revenue for the suggested design change.
In any event, here are the features:
- 800dpi optical mouse
- 1.5m USB 1.1 cable
- Auto detection between mouse and VoIP phone
- Seamlessly integrated with Skype, VoipButser, VoipStunt, VoIPCheap, VoipDiscount, SparVoip, Internetcalls, poivY, WebCallDirect, VoipCheapCom, FreeCall and NetAppel.
- Seamlessly integrated with X-TAPI Lite/Pro and BeyondTel's SIP Softphone
- Monochrome 128*64 pixel LCD with backlight. Supports all kinds of languages
- VoIP Contact List, Call List, Call history, time, and caller ID display on LCD screen
- Hands-free speakerphone function
- Various chord music ring tones catering to different tastes.
- Fully functional keypad and LCD screen enables you to make/receive calls without using keyboard and mouse.
- Rings loudly on an incoming call.
- Acoustically isolated earpiece and microphone to eliminate echo.
- Full-duplex communication with crystal clear voice.