February 28, 2005
I just received this interesting email about an interesting electric scooter.
I was wondering if you could help get the word out about a revolutionary new EV that will be released in 2006. It cruises at over 60mph and goes up to 70 miles on a single charge-34 cents would be the national average electricity cost. Of course, no noise or emissions. The website is www.vectrixusa.com
, and here's an insider image of the bike's new design. I've ridden the VXe and it's amazing.
I'm contacting you because the company considers the US (big SUV's, big Harleys, etc.) to be a low-priority market relative to Europe, and they might now allocate many bikes here if they don't know there's interest. In any case, availability will be limited. They are taking free, no-obligation reservations right now and a strong turnout could make a difference. Do you think you can help?
PS: I am not a Vectrix employee, I just want to see more products like this brought to market.
Well, whether or not this person is blowing smoke up my ears I don't know, but it does have some interesting specs. I vaguely recall coming across their website several months ago. In any event, check out their specs:
Fast and Safe
- Outstanding Performance - The VXe has a top speed of 62 mph (100 km/h) and accelerates from 0-50 mph (96 km/h) in 6.8 seconds.
- Extended Range - Up to 68 miles (110 km) between charges (average speed of 25 mph (40 km/h). The patented throttle-activated regenerative braking system further extends the range of the VXe by redirecting energy back into the battery during braking.
- Superior Handling - A low center of gravity, a stiff frame, and even weight distribution provide excellent handling.
Easy to Use
- Stop and Go in One Hand - Simply twist the throttle for instant acceleration. When it's time to slow down or stop, throttle activated regenerative braking slows the VXe smoothly and safely.
- Easy to Park - The multi-function throttle controls a slow speed reverse function, making maneuvering in and out of tight parking spaces simple and easy.
- No Gear Shifting - The integrated electric motor and single stage planetary gearbox eliminates the need for a clutch or gear shifting.
- Simple to Charge - The on-board charger fully recharges the battery pack in just over two hours. The charger plugs into any standard 110/220V power outlet.
- Instant Information - An advanced digital dashboard displays speed, odometer, energy consumption, battery status and estimated range on a central analog display and two LCD's.
Low Running Costs
- Inexpensive to Run - Electricity costs are less than 50 cents to fully recharge the batteries.
- Minimal Maintenance - Many of the key components in the VXe are sealed and maintenance free. No oil or filters to replace.
- Incentives and Rebates - Government rebates, local subsidies, and exemptions from road tax, property tax, registration fees and inner-city congestion tolls offer additional cost savings of up to €1,400 in some European cities.
- Reduced Insurance Costs - Safety features, such as the throttle activated braking system, and the digital control system, which makes the scooter extremely difficult to steal, result in a 50% saving in insurance costs.
- Long Battery Life - The Nickel Metal Hydride (NiMH) battery pack has an estimated life
- Zero Emissions - The Vectrix scooter is emission free, whereas gas scooters can produce up to 10X the pollution of the average automobile.
- Very Low Noise - The Vectrix scooter is much quieter than a gas powered scooter or motorcycle.
- Unrestricted Inner-City Access - The Vectrix Scooter can access "Gas Restricted" inner-city areas.