- 1 pound dried lasagna noodles
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pounds ground beef
- ½ pound ground Italian sausage
- ½ onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- ½ green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon chopped oregano leaves
- 1 teaspoon rubbed fennel
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- ¾ cup red wine
- 2 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup pitted and sliced ripe kalamata olives
- 1 quart ricotta cheese
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- ¼ cup finely chopped Italian flat-leaf parsley
- 2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup grated Parmesan
- 1 pound mozzarella cheese, shredded
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Cook the noodles in salted boiling water 8-10 minutes. Stir to prevent sticking. Drain the noodles and coat with olive oil to keep them moist and from sticking together.
Add a teaspoon of olive oil to a large hot skillet. Add the beef, sausage, 1 tsp. Salt and ½ tsp. pepper and cook until brown. Remove from the skillet and let drain on paper towels. Add a tsp. olive to the hot skillet and add the onion and bell pepper, Cook until softened about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, basil, oregano, fennel and tomato paste and cook for an additional 3-5 minutes, stirring from time to time. Add the wine and bring to a boil. Immediately add the chopped tomatoes and browned ground meat and stir to combine. Simmer all ingredients for 20-30 minutes. Add the Kalamata olives and remove from heat.
In a separate bowl, combine ricotta, egg, chopped parsley and season with remaining salt and pepper.
In the bottom of a 13 by 9-inch baking dish, spoon ½ cup of the meat sauce to coat the bottom. This is meant only to keep the 1st layer of noodles from sticking. Layer 1/3 of the lasagna noodles, 1/3 the meat sauce, 1/3 the ricotta cheese mixture, 1/3 the mozzarella and 1/3 the parmesan cheese. Repeat layering twice more. Cover with foil and bake for 25 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for an additional 25 minutes to brown. Remove from oven and let rest for at least 15minutes. Serves 8-10