- 1 pound breakfast sausage (sage sausage or regular)
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 hard-boiled eggs
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 egg, beaten lightly
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- Peanut or vegetable oil for deep-frying the eggs
- 4 tablespoons of mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons of Dijon-style mustard
- 1 tablespoon of cream or milk
- ½ teaspoon pepper
In a large bowl combine well the sausage, marjoram, thyme, salt and cayenne. Divide the mixture into 4 equal portions, and flatten each portion into a thin round disc. Wrap each hard-boiled egg completely in a sausage round, gently patting the sausage into place. Dredge the sausage-coated eggs in the flour, shaking off the excess and roll them in the egg mixture. Drain the excess and roll them in the bread crumbs.
Deep fry at 350°F for 5-7 minutes or until golden brown. Drain on a rack or paper towels.
Meanwhile mix the mayonnaise, mustard, cream and pepper in a small bowl. Spoon a little on to each plate and set the Scotch eggs either next to or in the middle of the sauce.