Looking at the Times of India (a good place to read to get away from the skew of US politics but perhaps hard for those who are used to a more US centric view). One of the lead articles is on the tech center build outs going on in India.
What are the trends will fill those offices?
1) Mobile Applications
2) Green Energy
3) Green Lighting
4) Global Positioning Systems
5) Next Generation Networks
6) Green Mobile
8) New Interfaces
9) Content Delivery
10) High Definition TV
Most interesting is the fact that the story is no longer outward facing. The article highlights the 400M mobile subscribers internal to India. Also highlighted is the use of SMS with ecommerce, Widgets and the mobile web. The expectation is that SMS spam will be a big problem as well.
Saying all that the trend on the phone in India is take advantage of its recent upgrades to 3G made the 41st country to get 3G (though they consciously want to catch up to Japan and Korea in their WiMAX and LTE rollouts).
The best part of the discussion was the topic of the Set Top box offering WiFi access to the HD Video it was receiving. Interesting concept and makes the Femto disucssion alot more interesting.
- Related Entries
- Day 3: The Application Imperative - Jan 28, 2009
- Cisco 4G is about Video - Jun 12, 2009
- Revolt: IMS: Making Room for the Evolution - Feb 01, 2009
- Pareto Principle: Alvarion does not need Nortel - Jan 31, 2009
- The Emphasis on the Wrong Syllable Bankrupt Nortel sheds WiMAX - Jan 29, 2009
- Day 1: 4GWE Preview - Jan 26, 2009
- Clearwire Mum on Xohm Launches, Says LTE a Possibility - Dec 01, 2008
- WiMAX: The Best of Times, The Worst of Times... - Nov 20, 2008
- It Looks Good on PAPR. - Nov 03, 2008
- 4Gee - What happened to Nortel? - Jun 22, 2009