In some ways you can think of Verizon as the Carrier's version of General Electric with the same mantra of "if you can not be number 1 in a business get out of it."
Verizon has also managed to shed personnel in the deals making it a kind of force reduction solution, (we could look at this as the anti-matter to Cisco's acquire the company for the talent strategy).
At the heart of Verizon we can see one major goal enabling HD Video. Its true for their FIOS vision, and its true for their LTE vision at Verizon Wireless.
So how are they doing at delivering on this vision? And how many iterations does it take to get it right? FIOS is now starting to be talked about favorably by friends that have it. That future point that Verizon aimed for of the three HD TVs per home watching a game has arrived.
For Verizon Wireless, that vision is still to be delivered upon, the MediaFlo and VCast promise is in transition.
At their developer's conference you heard the message of Video as the future. Yes they want applications, but they want to be the screen you look at, more than the headset you speak into. This is the vision of FIOS, and its probably even a more illuminated vision for Verizon Wireless with LTE.
Think of the Term FIOS. As a techie I see the IOS and think of Cisco's Internetwork Operating System attached to the work Fiber. Its about the delivery of services via glass that was probably the vision being shared by the techies before the marketing took over.
Likewise at VDC, Verizon Wireless was promoting the Wireless equivalent. Roger Gurnani stated that the Network API they were promoting was just the beginning. They have an idea of where they want to be in the future, now the question is how fast can they get there?
The cash cows that have been sold seem to have lost their productive years based on their filing for bankruptcy. If you are making a deal with Verizon here is the caveat emptor, the asset they are selling probably does not fit into their vision of the future, so you may be paying a premium and should ask yourself what is your vision of the future. You better have a vision that goes beyond the dairy.
- Related Entries
- Ericsson Powers US Up During the Low Down - Jul 27, 2009
- Verizon Ups the Ante and then Blinks - Dec 12, 2008
- Verizon Developer Community Conference - Jul 28, 2009
- Now That CDMA is in the Ericsson Portfolio of Patents? - Jul 25, 2009
- The Death of the Cassette: Anthony Robbins - Jun 30, 2009
- Who is driving the Next Bus Verizon Wireless or Apple? - Aug 04, 2009
- Devices What Catches your Eye! - Jul 09, 2009
- Wireless Backhaul is Fiber? - Jun 26, 2009
- 4Gee - What happened to Nortel? - Jun 22, 2009
- The iPhone Effect on Verizon - Jun 02, 2009