Since it's Nov. 1, time for a new map -- and the one on the Clear.com website now shows Chicago "in the green" of Clearwire services, while adding Dallas/Fort Worth to the list of cities with service in Texas.
In North Carolina, the cities of Charlotte, Raleigh and Greensboro are also now listed as "live," so it looks like Clearwire should be able to make good on its promise to step up subscriber numbers in Q4, simply by having lots more markets selling services.
The big ones, however, are Chicago and Dallas -- two huge metro areas where Clearwire will see how it fares against existing service providers. In Chicago, Clearwire also has its first true "commuter" city, since thousands there ride the rails every day, to and from work, play, school and in just general getting-aroundness.
Will WiMAX's ability to connect while mobile make a big impression? We are only now just going to find out. We'll have some more thinking on Clearwire market launches later this week. And yes, the launches mean that Sprint's 4G services are available there too. Meanwhile, more detail from the Chicago maps below.
- Related Entries
- Report Excerpt: Why Dearth of Devices Hurts Clearwire - Oct 13, 2009
- Will 'Portability' Lure Businesses to WiMAX? - Aug 26, 2009
- Clearwire adds 10 new '4G' markets in old pre-WiMAX cities - Aug 03, 2009
- New marketing message comes through loud and 'Clear' in Vegas - Jul 23, 2009
- Clearwire Prepping Portable WiMax/Wi-Fi Router - Jan 12, 2009
- Clearwire's Wolff: 'Full Speed Ahead' with WiMax - Dec 06, 2008
- Clearwire Mum on Xohm Launches, Says LTE a Possibility - Dec 01, 2008
- WiMax Test Drive -- Roamin' on Xohm in Chicago - Nov 14, 2008
- Report Excerpt: Market Launches Keep Clearwire on Target - Oct 20, 2009
- Free Download: WiMAX Business Deployment Guide - Aug 24, 2009