Candidly, I was feeling like all the can SIP save Skype discussion was a waste of time. My thoughts were that the courts were going to be the place where this got settled and not in the standards bodies.
However, I was mistaken. While I believe much of the knowledge about NAT traversal came from the capabilities embedded in Paradial, the world was off chasing the use of SIP as a solution.
Upper management found a strategy at a deeper level. Namely to make it so that Skype now had the benefit of Jonathan (Prior Art) Rosenberg.
If ever there was someone who had been looking at the issues of NAT traversal Jonathan has been the guy. From the development of MIDCOM, STUN, ICE, TURN and of course SIP, Jonathan has been there.
Mind you, the addition of another Jonathan at Skype also indicates where the company is heading even after being acquired. You can think of Jonathan as being at the beginning of SIP coming somewhat full circle. From adapting the Web model to telecom to now guiding the SIP model into the Enterprise, Jonathan is going to be well positioned.
- Related Entries
- China and the iPhone - Oct 26, 2009
- Significant Skype Snipes - Sep 21, 2009
- Niklas and Janus Jolts Ebay WTF? - Sep 15, 2009
- Apple you Win, I Bought the iTouch! - Sep 10, 2009
- Skype Sale has 4GWE Buzzing - Sep 01, 2009
- The War is Still a Skirmish amongst Giants: - Aug 19, 2009
- Review of the Clearwire Guerrila Marketing Campaign - Jul 23, 2009
- Devices What Catches your Eye! - Jul 09, 2009
- The Russians are Here: The Russians are Here!: MagicJack - Jul 08, 2009
- Should Skype be redesigned? - Jul 07, 2009