CES was hoping and the buzz was around various forms of wireless use. Ford with Sync, Microsoft with KIA, Wireless devices and devices using wireless were all around most of them Internet enabled.
Mobile World Congress is going on in Barcelona and it's expected to do well next week.
I want to point out that these events are following the money which is no longer about the network its about the consumers freedom of choice.
As congress and the FCC contend with the legacy of the PSTN the new network is flourishing and its not about wireless its about customer choice. The wireless world may still have the same issues facing it that their fixed line brothers faced. Brough Turner points out that over 90% of the packets on any network head for the Internet.
If I were at the FCC I would be ready to advocate that its time to treat all networks as if they were accessing the Internet. Looking at competition not based on the technology but on the services and the primary services. Voice, video and data are probably going to converge at some point as well with the over the top (internet) model
Legacy service providers are looking for protection, but government should praise itself for enabling the competitive landscape we are heading for rather than embedding old rules into the new environment.
In these days of government bail outs its hard to see what is the economic downturn versus technological progress.
If the goal of net neutrality is to support the progress, I would contend it's to dynamic a market to codify. If its to protect the applications from abuses by the legacy networks, I am not sure its needed.
- Related Entries
- Its a MSlate vs iTablet - Jan 11, 2010
- Did you buy your car to access the road? - Nov 02, 2009
- Your Huddle Masses Yearning to be Free - Oct 19, 2009
- Dear Congress; A Phone Number does not a Service Make - Oct 12, 2009
- What Is and Isn't under the FCC Jurisdiction - Oct 05, 2009
- Bright Shiny Object - Death Star Apple Part 2 - Aug 25, 2009
- Death Star Apple - Aug 24, 2009
- Should Skype be redesigned? - Jul 07, 2009
- The Dead Zone: The realities of Coverage - Jun 27, 2009
- Indirect Consequences - As the FCC settles down - Jun 19, 2009