It's game of inches as they say.
I have been looking at the reporting about Verizon's App Store activity and find the perspective of some pundits troubling.
As I reported when I went to the Verizon
Developers Conference, the goal Verizon
has is very different than being the equivalent of the iTunes AppStore.
Lets be honest, how many of us have looked at all 65,000 apps, and how many of us really want to.
Verizon announced a partnership with Vodafone, China Mobile and Softbank to deliver applications their way. Very specfically Verizon was looking to open the interfaces for location, billing
and trust (security). I noted that their strategy was associated with a API that masked alot of the behind the scenes OSS work.
Carriers and cellphone vendors have procedures for turning on the phone that represent over 100 steps in provisioning and configuration. Verizon has tried to make the network valuable without having the carrier's internal OSS stifle the developer. The one requirement is work within a framework. A lot of the companies that are on the iPhone do not like this framework, and it shows in in the blogosphere.
So Vodafone makes its announcement about their efforts to build Vodafone 360 which to me is a another strategy in keeping with the alliance, but is not getting the anger yet.
I think the reason maybe be that Verizon is in the California footprint and the developers are asked all the time "Can I use it on my phone" and since VZW is big in California, the answer frustrating.
Tags: Appstore, California, China Mobile, iPhone, Softbank, Verizon Wireless, Vodafone
- Related Entries
- Apple you Win, I Bought the iTouch! - Sep 10, 2009
- Sprint has PalmPre, VZ & RIM">If ATT has Apple, and Sprint has PalmPre, VZ & RIM - Jul 28, 2009
- Developers Have the Upper Hand in 4G Apps Ecosystem - Sep 02, 2009
- ATT vs. Telefonica The Long Tail Effect of Apple's App Store - Aug 10, 2009
- Who is driving the Next Bus Verizon Wireless or Apple? - Aug 04, 2009
- Review of the Clearwire Guerrila Marketing Campaign - Jul 23, 2009
- The iPhone Effect on Verizon - Jun 02, 2009
- My Instincts about the Korean market opening up for iPhone - Sep 24, 2009
- In the UK, resistance to drink the Orange T - Sep 09, 2009
- LTE Reality Check - Sep 09, 2009
| Tag with del.icio.us
| 4g-wirelessevolution Home
| Permalink: Ceilings and Floors: Vodafone and Verizon