- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 3 ounces asparagus, 1 inch dice
- 3 ounces artichoke hearts, ¼ inch slices (frozen is preferred over canned)
- 1 Serrano pepper, seeds removed, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 ounces grated Parmesan cheese, approximately 1/2 cup
- ½ cup heavy cream
In a small pot heat chicken broth to simmering.
In a 3 quart saucepan over medium heat, add the olive oil and butter. Add the shallot, asparagus, artichoke hearts, Serrano pepper, garlic, salt and pepper. Sauté for 2-3 minutes. Add the rice and stir to coat and sauté for a minute more.
Add the wine, stir to mix and allow to reduce by half.
Add ½ cup of chicken broth and stir the pan often, until the liquid is completely absorbed into rice. Once absorbed, add another ½ cup of chicken broth and continue stirring as before. Continue adding ½ cup of broth until the rice is done. This should take approximately 20 minutes. After the last addition of liquid has been mostly absorbed, add the Parmesan cheese.
If everything else is ready, then add the cream and serve. Otherwise, remove from heat. When ready to serve, reheat pan and add the cream. Serve immediately.