- 6 chicken thighs
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 slices of smoked bacon or pancetta
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup white wine
- 1 6 oz can of tomato paste
- 1 15 oz can of diced tomatoes
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon marjoram
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ½ cup black or kalamata olives, sliced
- ½ cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano
- ¼ cup Italian parsley for garnish
Add the olive oil to a skillet large enough to hold the chicken thighs. Add the bacon and cook until crisp.
Remove from the skillet and crumble into smaller pieces. Place the chicken thighs into the skillet and brown both sides. Remove from pan and set aside.
Sauté the onions, bell pepper, salt and pepper for five minutes or until softened. Deglaze with the white wine and reduce by half. Add the tomato paste, diced tomatoes, garlic, basil, marjoram, red pepper flakes, oregano, black olives and the crumbled bacon. Sauté for about 5-7 minutes.
Place the chicken in the skillet in a single layer. Cover and simmer over medium low heat for 20-25 minutes. Garnish with the Parmigiano-Reggiano and Italian parsley. Serve over fettuccini or your favorite pasta.