- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 anchovy fillets, chopped
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 6 ounce can tomato paste (San Marzano or Tuttorusso)
- 1 cup white wine (Pinot Grigio recommended)
- 1 12 ounce can tomato sauce (San Marzano or Tuttorusso)
- 12 ounces of water
- 1 28 ounce can whole tomato, crushed (San Marzano or Tuttorusso)
Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large saucepan (at least four quarts). Add the onion, salt, red pepper and black pepper to the pan and sauté for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic, anchovy fillets, oregano and basil and sauté for 2 minutes more. Add the tomato paste and sauté for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the white wine and bring to a boil. Add the tomato sauce, water, and crushed tomatoes.
Bring everything to a boil and reduced to a simmer over low heat. Cover but place a wooden spoon between the lid and the top of the saucepan to allow the sauce to slowly cook and reduce.
Simmer for at least three hours and up to six.