- 1 pound cavatappi or elbow macaroni
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 quart milk
- 12 ounces Gruyere, grated
- 8 ounces extra-sharp Cheddar, grated
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 6 strips bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 6 sundried tomatoes, chopped
Preheat the oven to 375oF.
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook 5 minutes. Drain well.
Meanwhile, melt 6 tablespoons of butter in a 4-quart pot. Add the flour and cook over medium heat for 2 minutes while stirring with a whisk. Continue whisking and add the milk. Whisk until thickened and smooth. Off the heat, add two thirds of the gruyere and two thirds of the cheddar cheese. Stir until melted. Add salt, garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, nutmeg, bacon and sundried tomatoes. Add the cooked macaroni and stir well. Pour into a 3-quart baking dish.
Sprinkle the remaining cheese on the top. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until the sauce is bubbly and the pasta is browned on the top.