- Marinara Sauce (recipe follows)
- Béchamel Sauce (recipe follows)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ cup onion, small dice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup red bell pepper
- 8 oz smoked pork loin
- 2 oz cured Virginia ham or prosciutto
- 15 oz whole milk ricotta cheese
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese, grated, divided use
- 1 beaten egg
- 1/2 cup frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained well
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- 1 box cannelloni or manicotti pasta (about 12 shells)
· 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
· 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
· 3 cups whole milk
· 1 teaspoon White seasoning mix
· ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
· Pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 28-ounce can tomato puree
- 1 14-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
Marinara Sauce: Heat a 4-quart saucepan or small stockpot and add the olive oil. Add the onion and sauté until translucent. Add the garlic and pepper flakes and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes being careful not to brown. Add the tomato puree, crushed tomatoes, beef stock, water, sugar and salt. Stir and bring to a boil. Add more water if the sauce is too thick. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 30 minutes.
Béchamel Sauce: In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Whisk in the flour, salt, pepper, onion and garlic powder. Cook for 2 minutes. Gradually add the milk, whisking constantly. Increase heat, stir until the sauce thickens, reduce heat and simmer for 3-5 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the parmesan cheese and nutmeg.
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook 4-5 minutes. Drain pasta. Sprinkle lightly with olive oil to keep from sticking.
Heat a sauté pan and add the olive oil. Sauté the onion, garlic and bell pepper until softened, do not brown.
Grind the pork and ham in a food processor until minced.
In a large bowl mix the, pork, ham, ricotta, cheese, egg, spinach, salt, pepper, basil and oregano.
Preheat oven to 350oF.
Lightly oil a 13 by 9-inch baking dish Spoon just enough Marinara sauce to cover the bottom. Working from both ends, using a small spoon or pastry bag, stuff each cannelloni tube and place on the marinara sauce. Repeat with the remaining pasta and filling, lining up in rows in the pan. Top the filled cannelloni with the rest of the Marinara Sauce and then the Béchamel Sauce. Sprinkle with the remaining Parmesan cheese. Bake until bubbly and the top is golden brown, about 30 to 40 minutes. Serve immediately.