GM Greens Up CES, Unveils New Caddy
January 9, 2008
In a keynote address at the Consumer Electronics Show, General Motors chief executive Rick Wagoner promised that by 2012 half the car maker's U.S. production line will be devoted to vehicles powered by "Flexfuel," an environmentally friendly alternative to traditional petroleum-based gasoline.
Wagoner put the emphasis on his presentation by unveiling a prototype Cadillac Provoq sedan.
“The Cadillac Provoq is the latest example of GM’s E-Flex propulsion system combining our new fifth-generation fuel cell with a lithium-ion battery to produce an electrically driven vehicle that uses no petroleum, and has no emission other than water,” he told the CES audience.
Wagner described some of the Provoq’s other intriguing features:
- A solar panel integrated into the roof to help power onboard accessories, such as interior lights and a high-performance audio system.
- An active front grille with louvers that close at highway speed to enhance aerodynamics and open at low speed to provide maximum cooling to the fuel cell stack.
- Both brake-by-wire and shift-by-wire technology which minimize the concept’s need for mechanical systems reduce the vehicle’s overall weight and provide for greater interior storage space.
- And, left and right, fender-mounted charging ports to allow for overnight, plug-in charging of the lithium-ion battery pack.
According to Wagoner, “the Cadillac Provoq represents another important step in GM’s commitment to energy-wise, environmentally conscious, electrically driven vehicles and the promise of truly sustainable transportation.”
Tags: consumers, fuel, general motors, green living, green technology
Search Technorati: consumers, fuel, general motors, green living, green technology
Related Tags: cadillac provoq, Provoq, provoq, wagoner, cadillac, Wagoner
- Related Entries
- Forrester: In Search of Green Tech Consumers - Dec 19, 2007
- Are You a Greenocrite? - Jul 05, 2007
- Organic Retailer Touts Fuel Cell Powered Supermarket - Mar 12, 2008
- TMCnet Interviews ON24 CEO - Mar 12, 2008
- Can Virtualization Green The Emerald Isle? - Mar 12, 2008
- Land Rover Unveils Green Concept - Jan 14, 2008
- Honda Stays on Green Message in Detroit - Jan 14, 2008
- GM, Coskata in Ethanol Deal - Jan 14, 2008
- Green Earth Gets Funding - Jan 09, 2008
- Electric Car Offers Savings to Londoners - Jan 03, 2008
Listed below are links to sites that reference GM Greens Up CES, Unveils New Caddy: