Live Earth More Harm Than Good?
July 6, 2007
A reader posted a comment to the Live Earth Update blog entry, essentially asking if it wasn’t a contradiction to even have an event, which would by its very nature generate lots of trash and generate huge amounts of carbon with all the private jets and flights and equipment transport, etc…
An article from the Associated Press reveals that the person who read that blog entry is far from alone with that concern.
Critics claim that the negative impact of the Live Earth concerts is at odds with that organization’s green goal of raising awareness for climate change.
Even Roger Daltrey, lead singer for rock group the Who, chimed in:
“The last thing the planet needs is a rock concert.”
To maintain its green integrity, Live Earth is implementing “green event guidelines”
According to the AP story, the guidelines are:
- All electricity that powers the shows will be from renewable sources;
- Concessionaires will be encouraged to use suppliers of biodegradable plastics;
- Waste will be minimized through recycling and reuse;
- Venue offices will use as little energy as possible;
- Production lighting will include the use of LED light bulbs;
- Staff and artist air travel will be offset through carbon credits; and
- Ground travel will be by hybrid or high-efficiency vehicles where possible.
Former Veep Al Gore was adamant:
“This is going to be the greenest event of its kind, ever. The carbon offsets and the innovative practices that are being used to make this a green event, I think, will set the standard for years to come.”
Tags: environment, green, live earth
Search Technorati: environment, green, live earth
Related Tags: green, Earth, earth, event, carbon
- Related Entries
- TANDBERG - Aug 21, 2007
- Live Earth Awareness - Jul 08, 2007
- Canalys Asks Who is Willing to Pay More for 'Green' Technology - Jul 03, 2007
- Organic Retailer Touts Fuel Cell Powered Supermarket - Mar 12, 2008
- Intel Pledges Green For Green's Sake - Jan 30, 2008
- WSJ: US Seeks to Lower Green Trade Barriers - Jan 30, 2008
- Green Earth Gets Funding - Jan 09, 2008
- IXYS Joins Climate Savers Computing Initiative - Jan 03, 2008
- Toronto Star: Will New Social Climate Lead to Green? - Dec 26, 2007
- Forrester: In Search of Green Tech Consumers - Dec 19, 2007
Listed below are links to sites that reference Live Earth More Harm Than Good?: