Google to be Carbon Neutral by Year's End
June 22, 2007
We’ve already discussed how Google and Intel have pledged their efforts to the green movement by launching the Climate Savers Computing Initiative.
Now comes word of Google promising to become carbon neutral by the end of the year.
The Google plan essentially has three parts:
- Reduce energy consumption by maximizing efficiency;
- Invest in and use renewable energy sources; and
- Purchase carbon offsets for any remaining emissions.
In a recent entry on the Official Google Blog, Urs Hoelzle, Senior Vice President, Operations told readers about the self-assessment the company undertook before setting off on the green initiative.
"To calculate our carbon footprint, we took into account emissions from purchased electricity, employee commuting, business travel, construction, and server manufacturing. In a partnership with the Environmental Resources Trust (ERT), we have independently verified this assessment, and will do so every year."
Something this blogger was not aware of, most likely because I live 3,000 miles away from the Google green scene, is how big a focus transportation plays in the Google plan.
Apparently every day Google provides shuttle service for over 1,500 commuting employees in the San Francisco area. Google also offers employees a financial incentive for purchasing environmentally friendly cars.
Lastly Urs Hoelzle writes about Google’s ambitious plan to create 50 megawatts of new renewable generation capacity by 2012. According to Hoelzle, that’s enough to power 50,000 typical U.S. homes.
Tags: carbon neutral, carbon offsets, Google, green
Search Technorati: carbon neutral, carbon offsets, Google, green
Related Tags: google, Google, carbon, Hoelzle, green, hoelzle
- Related Entries
- Morgan Stanely to Offer Carbon Offset Service - Aug 15, 2007
- American Airlines Plans Green Marketing Push - Jul 20, 2007
- Red, White, And ... Green? - Jun 22, 2007
- Carbon Footprint Secrecy - Jun 15, 2007
- Organic Retailer Touts Fuel Cell Powered Supermarket - Mar 12, 2008
- Intel Pledges Green For Green's Sake - Jan 30, 2008
- WSJ: US Seeks to Lower Green Trade Barriers - Jan 30, 2008
- Green Earth Gets Funding - Jan 09, 2008
- IXYS Joins Climate Savers Computing Initiative - Jan 03, 2008
- Toronto Star: Will New Social Climate Lead to Green? - Dec 26, 2007
Listed below are links to sites that reference Google to be Carbon Neutral by Year's End: