China’s Green Olympics
August 8, 2007
Although air quality problems plague the world’s fastest-growing economy, China is doing what it can to have a true green Olympics. The city of Beijing plans 80 percent of buses and 70 percent of taxis will be fueled via clean energy by 2008.
As part of the efforts, 14 electric buses have been running on one bus route for two years in Beijing as a pilot project while 1,300 buses fueled by compressed gas have been put into operation.
Of the two million square meters of buildings used for the Olympics, 26.9 percent will be powered by clean energy like solar, wind and geothermal power, the ministry said.
The seven main stadiums in Beijing will be equipped with solar generators with a total capacity of 480 KW while 90 percent of the lighting outside the stadiums and hot water supply in the Olympics Village will be powered by solar energy.
Beijing will have its first wind power plant by the end of this year with a capacity of 50,000 KW, which will supply main stadiums.
While it will take a while to clean the air in China, the Olympics seem like a great catalyst to get the country moving in the green direction.
- Carbon Offsets » China’s Green Olympics
- Environment » China’s Green Olympics
- Green Investing » China’s Green Olympics
- automotive » China’s Green Olympics
- carbon footprint » China’s Green Olympics
- government initiatives » China’s Green Olympics
- green technology » China’s Green Olympics
- solar » China’s Green Olympics
- water » China’s Green Olympics
- wind » China’s Green Olympics
Tags: china, environment, green technology, olympics
Search Technorati: china, environment, green technology, olympics
Related Tags: olympics, Olympics, percent, Beijing, beijing, while
- Related Entries
- The Benefits of Green - Jul 02, 2007
- Eco One - Sep 02, 2007
- CO2Sink - Aug 07, 2007
- Are You a Greenocrite? - Jul 05, 2007
- Carbon Footprint Calculators - Jul 03, 2007
- Organic Retailer Touts Fuel Cell Powered Supermarket - Mar 12, 2008
- TMCnet Interviews ON24 CEO - Mar 12, 2008
- Can Virtualization Green The Emerald Isle? - Mar 12, 2008
- Land Rover Unveils Green Concept - Jan 14, 2008
- Honda Stays on Green Message in Detroit - Jan 14, 2008
Listed below are links to sites that reference China’s Green Olympics: