Will Suing Polluters Help Us Breathe Easy?
September 4, 2007
Polluters are the next target in our litigious society.
In a CNNMoney article, staff writer Steve Hargreaves is reporting on a series of lawsuits that environmental groups are bringing in an effort to “force polluters to change their ways.”
According to Hargreaves:
In the U.S., plaintiffs are trying three general tactics:
· Seek monetary compensation for damages caused by global warming;
· Force polluters to clean up by saying they are a public nuisance, and
· Redesign projects currently on the drawing board by applying local laws requiring carbon emissions to be considered in any new development.
So far, no judgments against polluters have been issued. But several cases are pending.
It’s an interesting article that shows just how serious green groups are about forcing polluters into cleaning up their mess.
Check out the article and then feel free to share your thoughts below. Is this an example of using the full authority of the law to help curb polluters? Or is it yet another case of a litigious society gone mad?
Tags: environment, global warming, green living, lawsuit
Search Technorati: environment, global warming, green living, lawsuit
Related Tags: polluters, article
- Related Entries
- Save the Earth. Save a Buck. It's all good! - Jul 12, 2007
- Are You a Greenocrite? - Jul 05, 2007
- Green Technology the Answer to Pollution in Japan? - Feb 21, 2008
- GM Greens Up CES, Unveils New Caddy - Jan 09, 2008
- Electric Car Offers Savings to Londoners - Jan 03, 2008
- Only 1 in 5 Recycle e-Waste Properly - Dec 28, 2007
- Toronto Star: Will New Social Climate Lead to Green? - Dec 26, 2007
- Utah to Curb Greenhouse Emissions - Nov 21, 2007
- Bush Warms to Green Funding - Sep 28, 2007
- Eco One - Sep 02, 2007
Listed below are links to sites that reference Will Suing Polluters Help Us Breathe Easy?: