Green Tech Not 'Sexy' Enough?
February 6, 2008
Green technologies companies, CNet News blogger Michael Kanellos said in a Tuesday posting, may face an uphill battle getting customers excited about their products because those products simply aren’t “sexy” enough.
Kanellos pointed out that solar and wind companies sell electricity-generating equipment… not exactly the most exciting thing around. Nor are new types of water filters or home biomass heating systems.
In other words, Kanellos suggested, the majority of green companies “sell commodities you need, but don't desire.”
That may be true, but then again maybe not. Some green technologies are exciting, at least for those among us who drool over new smartphones and other gadgets. Such technologies—like more efficient batteries, displays that are thinner than ever, and software that lets people conduct life-like videoconferences—may also be “commodities” in a sense, but they are also potentially of significant interest to technology early adopters and power users.
So here’s the question to you, dear reader: what constitutes a “sexy” green technology to you? What does it take for a green technology to make you say, “Cool!”? Let us know. Because there surely is more to green tech than solar panels.
- Environment » Green Tech Not 'Sexy' Enough?
- green technology » Green Tech Not 'Sexy' Enough?
- solar » Green Tech Not 'Sexy' Enough?
- water » Green Tech Not 'Sexy' Enough?
Tags: battery, cool, gadget, green tech, power, smartphone
Search Technorati: battery, cool, gadget, green tech, power, smartphone
Related Tags: green, technology, companies, kanellos, technologies, Kanellos
- Related Entries
- Rackspace Survey: Businesses Willing to Pay More for Services from 'Green' Vendors - Oct 02, 2007
- Green Technology the Answer to Pollution in Japan? - Feb 21, 2008
- Encouraging Green Tech Development - Feb 06, 2008
- California Rakes in the Green Tech Dough - Jan 23, 2008
- Investments in Green Tech Exceed $5 Billion for 2007 - Jan 23, 2008
- Green Earth Gets Funding - Jan 09, 2008
- Only 1 in 5 Recycle e-Waste Properly - Dec 28, 2007
- Companies Can be 'Green' With the Technology They Already Have - Oct 05, 2007
- Big Blue Goes Green - Jun 25, 2007
- Verdiem Joins Climate Savers - Jun 14, 2007
Listed below are links to sites that reference Green Tech Not 'Sexy' Enough?: