Sacramento Greens Up Light Rail
July 23, 2007
Opportunities to “go green” are all around us. Public transportation has long been considered a useful tool in the march to save the environment. It’s become commonplace see alternative fuel buses in many municipalities across the United States.
Now the Sacramento Bee is reporting that the California capital has identified that city’s light rail system for an energy efficiency upgrade.
Call it the Prius effect.
Much like the systems Toyota uses in their hybrid vehicles, Sacramento hopes to take advantage of regenerative braking technology to capture energy to be used in helping the trains to accelerate out of the stations.
Energy created while braking will be captured and sent back into the lines that provide power to the light rail system.
According to the Sacramento Bee, forty percent of the energy from braking can be recovered and sent back to accelerating trains.
Tags: energy reduction, green technology, prius, public transportation
Search Technorati: energy reduction, green technology, prius, public transportation
Related Tags: energy, Sacramento, sacramento, light, braking
- Related Entries
- Are You a Greenocrite? - Jul 05, 2007
- Toyota Valvematic - Jun 18, 2007
- Organic Retailer Touts Fuel Cell Powered Supermarket - Mar 12, 2008
- TMCnet Interviews ON24 CEO - Mar 12, 2008
- Can Virtualization Green The Emerald Isle? - Mar 12, 2008
- Land Rover Unveils Green Concept - Jan 14, 2008
- Honda Stays on Green Message in Detroit - Jan 14, 2008
- GM, Coskata in Ethanol Deal - Jan 14, 2008
- GM Greens Up CES, Unveils New Caddy - Jan 09, 2008
- IXYS Joins Climate Savers Computing Initiative - Jan 03, 2008
Listed below are links to sites that reference Sacramento Greens Up Light Rail: