Shared Computing for a Greener World
July 11, 2007
Calgary, Alberta-based Useful Corporation announced that their DiscoverStation solution has prevented over 13,000 tons of CO2 from being emitted into the atmosphere. In what’s becoming a standard measure of CO2 emissions, that’s equivalent to taking 2,300 cars off the road.
The solution is brilliant in its simplicity. Userful notes that:
…desktop computers sit idle virtually the entire day while we read or type. DiscoverStation leverages this unused computing power to create an environmentally efficient alternative to traditional desktop computing.
Multiple users can work on a single computer by simply attaching extra monitors, mice and keyboards.
According to Timothy Griffin, President of Userful:
“Computer hardware production and disposal is one of the fastest growing threats to our environment. Powering and cooling computers is an increasing contributor to global warming. By leveraging the underused power of modern PC’s, DiscoverStation helps people around the world Go Green.”
DiscoverStations are typically deployed in a configuration of 6 stations per computer, which means fewer PCs, and lower cost to operate those computers. The company claims that the solution can reduce electronic waste by up to 80%, further decreasing the environmental footprint of all that extra equipment, which if disposed of using current practices, would mean adding toxic materials such as heavy metals and flame-retardant plastics — which can leach into ground water and bio-accumulate — into the environment.
Tags: computing, efficient, green, green technology
Search Technorati: computing, efficient, green, green technology
Related Tags: computer, discoverstation, computing, computers, solution, DiscoverStation
- Related Entries
- Organic Retailer Touts Fuel Cell Powered Supermarket - Mar 12, 2008
- IXYS Joins Climate Savers Computing Initiative - Jan 03, 2008
- Forrester: In Search of Green Tech Consumers - Dec 19, 2007
- Green Technology Conference - Aug 16, 2007
- Carbon Footprint Secrecy - Jun 15, 2007
- Green WiFi - Jun 15, 2007
- TMCnet Interviews ON24 CEO - Mar 12, 2008
- Can Virtualization Green The Emerald Isle? - Mar 12, 2008
- Intel Pledges Green For Green's Sake - Jan 30, 2008
- WSJ: US Seeks to Lower Green Trade Barriers - Jan 30, 2008
Listed below are links to sites that reference Shared Computing for a Greener World: