Rackspace Survey: Businesses Willing to Pay More for Services from 'Green' Vendors
October 2, 2007
Consumers and businesses these days are paying more and more attention to the impact their actions have on the environment. The “green technology” segment of the “green” movement—and the topic of this blog—includes everything from fuel-efficient cars to software the helps people telecommute.
On today’s menu: the efforts data center companies are now making to create “greener” operations by reducing power consumption. Last month, Rackspace Managed Hosting got curious to see how much businesses really care about the “greenness” of the service providers they choose.
Specifically, Rackspace wanted to know if businesses would be willing to pay more for hosting and other data center-based services designed to have minimal impact on the environment. The company sent a survey asking this question to 3,800 of its customers, of which about 10 percent responded.
Fifty-two percent of respondents to the survey indicated that they’d be willing to pay 5-10 percent more to work with a ‘green’ vendor. Also, fifty-one percent of respondents said they were willing to sacrifice 5-10 of server performance in order to reduce carbon emissions.
Although the sampling was pretty small (about 380 customers), the survey does indicate the willingness of businesses to consider ‘greenness’ when choosing which service providers and vendors to work with.
As Rackspace put it: “Green IT vendors are an important element of customers’ green strategies.” How important? Thirty percent of respondents said they expect picking such green vendors will be a central part of their business strategy within five years. Does this describe your business?
- carbon footprint » Rackspace Survey: Businesses Willing to Pay More for Services from 'Green' Vendors
- corporate initiatives » Rackspace Survey: Businesses Willing to Pay More for Services from 'Green' Vendors
- data center » Rackspace Survey: Businesses Willing to Pay More for Services from 'Green' Vendors
- green technology » Rackspace Survey: Businesses Willing to Pay More for Services from 'Green' Vendors
Tags: business, data center, electricity, green tech, power, Rackspace Managed Hosting, survey
Search Technorati: business, data center, electricity, green tech, power, Rackspace Managed Hosting, survey
Related Tags: percent respondents, green vendors, green, percent, businesses, rackspace
- Related Entries
- Green Tech Not 'Sexy' Enough? - Feb 06, 2008
- Investments in Green Tech Exceed $5 Billion for 2007 - Jan 23, 2008
- Companies Can be 'Green' With the Technology They Already Have - Oct 05, 2007
- Big Blue Goes Green - Jun 25, 2007
- Green Technology the Answer to Pollution in Japan? - Feb 21, 2008
- Encouraging Green Tech Development - Feb 06, 2008
- California Rakes in the Green Tech Dough - Jan 23, 2008
- Green Earth Gets Funding - Jan 09, 2008
- Only 1 in 5 Recycle e-Waste Properly - Dec 28, 2007
- Survey: Contact Centers Seeing Green - Nov 12, 2007
Listed below are links to sites that reference Rackspace Survey: Businesses Willing to Pay More for Services from 'Green' Vendors: