Want More Energy For Computing? Burn Trash!
April 2, 2008
If your company has an extra $5,000 or so in its green technology budget, it might be worth considering a device the converts trash into energy with very minimal emissions. The device is called “the Gigapit,” and is made by startup Data Centigrade, Inc.
The Gigapit is small enough (the size of a small trash bin) to be installed in an office, where it works to turn trash into business-class energy, ByteandSwitch.com said in a Tuesday report. The minimal smoke produced can be piped into the “air pleneum”above the drop ceiling present in most offices, or out an open window.
“Depending on the type of waste being burned, a typical company can reduce its data center power bill by 20 to 40 percent in the first year,” ByeandSwitch.com quoted Data Centigrade’s CEO, Guy Montag, as saying. Fuel efficiency depends on what’s being burned, he added: "Paper isn't great. Food works a lot better. Pizza, burritos, pies — any of your pastry- or dough-based comestibles. Basically you just throw it all in there and ‘flame on!’”
- corporate initiatives » Want More Energy For Computing? Burn Trash!
- green technology » Want More Energy For Computing? Burn Trash!
Tags: computing, data center, Data Centigrade, energy, green tech, trash
Search Technorati: computing, data center, Data Centigrade, energy, green tech, trash
Related Tags: trash, Centigrade, Gigapit, energy, centigrade, gigapit
- Related Entries
- Data Centers Find They Can't Afford to Not 'Go Green' - Apr 09, 2008
- IT Execs to Gather in Orlando for Green Enterprise Computer Event - Apr 02, 2008
- Investments in Green Tech Exceed $5 Billion for 2007 - Jan 23, 2008
- Rackspace Survey: Businesses Willing to Pay More for Services from 'Green' Vendors - Oct 02, 2007
- Green Tech Not 'Sexy' Enough? - Feb 06, 2008
- Encouraging Green Tech Development - Feb 06, 2008
- California Rakes in the Green Tech Dough - Jan 23, 2008
- Green Earth Gets Funding - Jan 09, 2008
- Only 1 in 5 Recycle e-Waste Properly - Dec 28, 2007
- Singapore Organization Creating 'Green' Building for Zero Net Energy Usage - Nov 07, 2007
Listed below are links to sites that reference Want More Energy For Computing? Burn Trash!: