EU intervention sought for high roaming charges
When in Rome?
Make that when in roam.
The Europe Information Society website reports that a new survey by European-based market research firm Eurobarometer says that a significant majority of European cell users want the European Union to step in and regulate mobile roaming charges that are believed to be widly excessive.
Uh, very. The European Commission reports that typical total costs for a four-minute roamed call outside subscriber's home nations range between four to six Euros, and sometimes can even approach 12 Euros.
OK, you don't have to Google the conversion rates. I've done it for you.
12 Euros= $15.40; 6 Euros= $7.70; 4 Euros=$5.13.
So how does this affect European cell owners desire for EU intervention, as well as usage patterns minus that regulation?
The Eurobarometer survey finds:
- An overwhelming majority (70%) of respondents support the need for an EU regulation to lower roaming costs across the EU.
- 68% would support EU intervention to bring down roaming charges for SMS, a view shared by 78% of mobile phone users aged 15-24.
- 24,565 people from all 25 EU countries were questioned in September.
- 44% of EU citizens who have a mobile phone travel to another EU country at least once a year.
- A large majority use their phone less when travelling abroad. This attitude is particularly stronger among younger mobile phone users and students. 81% say that the high cost is the biggest deterrent.
- 15% of travellers either do not take their phones on holiday or switch them off completely.
- 21% only use SMS when roaming.
- 59% say they would use their phones more if charges were lower.
- Around 43% of users are still confused as to the prices they pay for making or receiving calls abroad
The top of the pricing scale I just cited is durn close to $4 a minute.
And you thought your roaming charges were bad?
- Cell and Mobile » EU intervention sought for high roaming charges
- International » EU intervention sought for high roaming charges
- Related Entries
Listed below are links to sites that reference EU intervention sought for high roaming charges:
TrackBack URL for EU intervention sought for high roaming charges: