FCC To Hold Major "Traffic-Shaping" Public Hearing Monday
The Federal Communications Commission will hold an open public hearing Monday on what is often referred to as "traffic-shaping."
An example of traffic shaping is the recent controversies between Comcast and BitTorrent, in which Comcast has admitted that it shunts high-bandwidth Torrent packets to provide its broadband networks with more equilibrium for a greater number of users.
The meeting will be held at HarvardLaw School: specifically, Ames Courtroom, Austin Hall, 1515 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge, MA -- 10AM-4PM- and will feature a wide variety of commenters with different beliefs on traffic shaping.
Here's the program:
11:00 a.m. Welcome/Opening Remarks
11:45 a.m. Technology Demonstration – Gilles BianRosa, Chief Executive Officer, Vuze,
12:00 p.m. Panel Discussion 1: Policy Perspectives:
- Marvin Ammori, General Counsel, Free Press
- Yochai Benkler, Professor of Law, Harvard Law School; Faculty Co-Director,Berkman Center for Internet and Society at Harvard Law School
- Daniel E. Bosley, State Representative, Massachusetts
- David L. Cohen, Executive Vice President, Comcast Corporation
- Tom Tauke, Executive Vice President – Public Affairs, Policy and Communications, Verizon Communications
- Timothy Wu, Professor of Law, Columbia Law School
- Christopher S. Yoo, Professor of Law and Director, Center for Technology,
- Innovation, and Competition, University of Pennsylvania Law School
- 1:30 Lunch break
2:15 Panel Discussion 2: Technological Perspectives
- Daniel Weitzner, Director, Massachusetts Institute of Technology Decentralized
- Richard Bennett, Network Architect
- David Clark, Senior Research Scientist, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory
- Eric Klinker, Chief Technology Officer, BitTorrent
- David P. Reed, Adjunct Professor, Massachusetts Institute of Technology Media
- Scott Smyers, Senior Vice President, Network & Systems Architecture Division,
Sony Electronics Inc.
3:45 p.m. Closing Remarks
4:00 p.m. Adjournment
Related Tags: traffic shaping, traffic, shaping
- Related Entries
Listed below are links to sites that reference FCC To Hold Major "Traffic-Shaping" Public Hearing Monday:
TrackBack URL for FCC To Hold Major "Traffic-Shaping" Public Hearing Monday: