Here's some more pics of this sexy Bluetooth headset:
The noise reduction feature was originally called "Noise Shield" but is now called "NoiseAssassin". Jawbone's NoiseAssassin technology feels your speech with its patented Voice Activity Sensor (VAS). The Jawbone headset uses the VAS to distinguish the sound of your voice from ambient noise with incredible accuracy and then uses proprietary Digital Signal Processing (DSP) algorithms to subtract the noise so only the sound of your voice comes through.
The NoiseAssassin technology was originally developed by Aliph for DARPA (The Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency), which creates and delivers breakthrough technology for the U.S. military. It is tested and designed to work in the toughest, most inhospitable terrain, when clear communication is critical, which means for the average user it is designed to perform everywhere.
Check out the before and after sound quality with this graph:
The original Jawbone didn't perform as well as other headsets in reducing wind noise. It was one of my major complaints. The new Jawbone claims to have solved this problem and does much better in wind.
Similar to the previous version, the new Jawbone headset has two buttons that are operated by touching the outside shield, and they control all the functions of the headset, which is extremely lightweight at just 10 grams. Now you would think the new Gen 2 Jawbone would have better battery talk time, right? Wrong. The new Jawbone actually only has four hours of talk time compared to the old version's six. The reason is the smaller battery, which is a worthy sacrifice considering the original Jawbone felt like a boat anchor on my ear. But the good news is that it has a standby time of over 8 days vs only 5 days on the original Jawbone!
Here are the specs:
Weight: 10 grams
Talk Time: Over 4 hours
Standby Time: Over 8 days
Range: Up to 33 feet (10 meters)
Charge: 80% charge in 35 minutes, 100% charge in less than 1 hour
Colors: Black / Silver / Rose Gold
Supports Bluetooth(R) 1.1, 1.2, and 2.0
- 50% smaller than the original Jawbone
- Military-grade noise elimination technology
- Ten times better voice clarity than competing headsets -- meaning it transmits 90% less noise
- Faster processing eliminates unexpected noise bursts
- Unmatched intelligibility -- voices sound human, not robotic
- Sophisticated dual microphone array reduces wind noise
- Invisible touch controls
- Three-dimensional texture on shield inspired by noise abatement surfaces
- Premium materials including medical-grade plastic and fine leather
- Magnetic USB cable & wall charger included
- Three (3) earbuds -- small, medium, and large
- Two (2) fine leather earloops -- medium and large
- Two (2) slim earloops ideal for use with eyewear -- medium and large
- Fits either ear
The new Jawbone is available today for $129.99 at AT&T retail stores nationwide and online at www.jawbone.com. It's a bit of a premium for this headset, but well worth the voice quality in my opinion. It is available initially in matte black, it will be coming soon in silver and rose gold.