HTC today announced the HTC Touch Cruise, a mobile phone that is optimized to run as a personal navigation handset with its inbuilt GPS and ability to geotag places you go with a photo and audio notes. The new HTC Touch Cruise is an update to last year's popular HTC Touch Cruise model, but it sports a more compact design and several new features.
Of particular note is HTC Footprints, an application that enables you to chronicle places you visit by capturing "digital postcards" on the phone that includes a 3.2MP photo, along with the ability to attach notes and an audio clip to remind you of the location's significance. Footprints will automatically geotag the specific GPS coordinates, and even auto-names each "postcard" with its general location or area.
The HTC Touch Cruise can also be used as an advanced in-car navigation system. Just stick it into its car cradle and the HTC Touch Cruise automatically transforms its user interface into an easy-to-use, one-touch interface with turn-by-turn directions.
It sports a decent 2.8 inch QVGA display along with HTC's TouchFLO technology. Because it's only QVGA, tt's not TouchFLO 3D, but rather TouchFLO 2D. Still, the TouchFLO 2D UI for Windows Mobile 6.1 is an improvement over the regular UI. It also has a built-in good quality 3.2MP camera, Bluetooth, 512 MB flash ROM & 256 MB RAM, and a Qualcomm MSM7225 processor running at 528 MHz. No slide-out keyboard though. Personally, I'd like to see HTC build the HTC Touch HD with a slide-out keyboard. There are rumors that HTC is building the HTC Touch HD Pro with a slide-out keyboard.
HTC Touch Cruise Specifications
- Size: 102 x 53.5 x 14.5mm
- Weight: 103 grams
- Connectivity: WCDMA/HSPA: 900/2100MHz. HSDPA 7.2 Mbps
- Operating system: Windows Mobile® 6.1 Professional
- Display: 2.8-inch TFT-LCD touch-sensitive screen with QVGA resolution
- Control panel: HTC TouchFLO™, 4-Way navigation wheel with Enter and HTC Footprints™ buttons
- Camera: 3.2 MP, with fixed focus
- Internal memory: 512 MB flash ROM, 256 MB RAM
- Expansion Slot: microSD™ memory card (SD 2.0 compatible)
- Bluetooth: 2.0 with EDR
- Wireless: Wi-Fi 802.11b/g
- GPS: GPS/A-GPS
- Interface: HTC ExtUSB (mini-USB 2.0 and audio jack in one)
- Battery: 1100 mAh
- Talk time: GSM: up to 400 minutes
- Standby time: GSM: up to two weeks
- Chipset: Qualcomm® MSM7225™, 528 MHz