By using Skype Connect with an existing PBX, your business can do the following:
- Make outbound calls from desktop phones to landlines and mobiles worldwide billed at Skype's standard per-minute calling rates;
- Receive inbound calls from Skype connected users worldwide by placing Skype's Click & Call buttons on their Web sites;
- Receive calls from landlines or mobile phones in the corporate PBX using Skype's online numbers that have been purchased separately; and
- Manage Skype calls using your existing PBX or UC systems' features such as call routing, automatic call distribution, conferencing, auto-attendant, voicemail, call recording and logging.
- Skype Connect already has over 2,400 active global customers;
- Skype Connect is now certified to work with PBX and UC products from Avaya, Cisco, SIPfoundry, ShoreTel and other OEMs (see supported models here).
- Skype Connect also works with older TDM PBXs or Key Systems which can now add Skype calling capabilities through third-party IP gateways from AudioCodes, Grandstream and VoSKY (see supported models here).
- Launched Skype Manager, a simple web-based tool to centrally manage and control Skype usage in a company, and which enables a business to set-up Skype Connect;
- New dedicated customer support, including real-time chat, is now available for Skype Connect customers and Skype Manager administrators directly through Skype Manager;
- In addition, we've been enrolling VARs and system integrators in our new Skype Channel Partner Program and training them to support our business customers. We will share more details on this program soon.
I recorded the call. Below is the podcast recording I had with David Gurlé, the GM of the Skype for Business team and Chaim Haas, Skype's PR representative. It definitely has some interesting "nuggets" about Skype and in particular Skype 5.0. Worth a listen. Some interesting tidbits include:
- David said customers are happy with text-chat, but Voice support will be available if customers request it.
- In the Skype 5.0 beta the limit for multi-party is 5.
- Skype 5.0 will launch in a couple of weeks