USRobotics just launched a new cordless phone for Skype called the USR9630 Cordless Phone for Skype and the USR9631 Accessory Handset. The USR9630 base station connects to both a traditional phone line and an available USB port on a PC running Skype. It allows up to four cordless handsets to be connected to the same telephone line. This product is somewhat similar to the Linksys CIT200 Skype phone that I reviewed, which also supports multiple handsets and also uses DECT, however, this USR product supports both Skype and PSTN phone calls, thus making it a practical home phone replacement for the entire family. Although, this product doesn't have a built-in answering machine. I suppose you could use Skype's voicemail, but that doesn't help you when people call your landline. Still, this is an intriguing product will some interesting possibilities. I might just have to do a full review of it in the near future.
Features available from the USR9630 Cordless Dual Phone and the USR9631 Accessory Handset include:
- Ability to use Skype even when you are not at your PC
- Up to four handsets for a whole-home/small office cordless phone solution
- DECT 6.0 technology does not interfere with 802.11a/b/g wireless networks, Bluetooth devices, and other home appliances.
- Efficient power usage for enhanced talk and stand-by times
- 150 foot (50 meter) indoor/900 foot (300 meter) outdoor range
- Integrated speakerphone in handset for hands free calling
- LED backlit, graphical LCD display provides convenient access to Skype contacts and personal phonebook entries
- Battery level indicator and Out of Range warning tone
- Supports Skype Caller ID and telephone company Caller ID
- Integrated echo cancellation and noise reduction technology delivers life-like conversation quality
- Full-duplex operation eliminates conversation clipping
- Supports Windows 2000 & XP operating systems
- Compatible with USB 1.1 and USB 2.0 ports