A few months ago I came across a multi-handset Skype cordless phone product that claimed their phone system worked up to 10km from the wireless base unit. "Great Scott! A cordless phone that works up to 10km," I thought to myself. It supports both Skype and PSTN. Heck, if your commute is only 10km away you can take one of the 99 supported handsets to your office and receive calls to BOTH your Skype username and your home PSTN line. Since I discovered this product its website has been sitting in my list of open Firefox tabs (nagging me) for months waiting for me to write about it and finally close the tab. Well, today is that day! (Now I can finally close the tab & mark off another to-do. Only 30 more Firefox tabs to go! )
The product is called the Senao SN 358 Skype phone system. Now, I figured the Senao SN 358 Skype phone system must use the CB radio band for it to have such great range. It uses two frequencies at the same time - 394 MHz / 268 MHz, which I don't think are licensed by the FCC in the U.S. So I'm really not sure the legality of this product. Did some more research and came across this from a Senao sales person:
Senao Sn 358 Skype phone will not been certified by FCC for sales in US because high power range and frequencies.However, we have lot of costumers is US, they are very happy with our Long Range Wireless Skype solution and they don't have any problems with FCC because use.Check out these comprehensive features:
With indoor antenna: 300m to 800m with out line of sight, max up to 2 km
With outdoor antenna: 2km to 6 km with out line of sight, max up to 15km
- Support both PSTN and SKYPE calls
- Multi-handset system (up to 99 handsets)
- Walkie-Talkie between handsets
- Intercom between base and handsets
- Multi-Languages Display (English, Russian, Arabic, Turkish, Spanish)
- Display, ID, phonebook, Vibration
- High quality voice transmission and automatic channel scan
- Handset & Base Speakerphone High
- Capacity Battery (1100mAh)
- FSK/DTMF Caller ID
- Multiple Channel Access: 120 channels automatic scan to avoid interference
- Built-in voice security circuit (Scrambler).
- 65,536 sets security codes (two-way)
- Works on two frequencies in the same time : 394 MHz / 268 MHz
- You should check with local authorities for legality of usage for these frequencies
- Multi-handset system (up to 99)
- Single color LCD (Orange).
- Vibration mode
- Selectable Ring and Page Tone on handset (16 melodies) and Base Ring Tone (10 melodies)
- Handset Custom Name Edit.
- Walkie-talkie between handsets.
- Handset speakerphone.
- Multi-language (English/Spanish/Russian/Turkish/Arabic) display.
- Multi-channel with auto-scan.
- Base speakerphone with dial keypad.
- 50 Phone book memory with name/number on each handset.
- Last 10 calls redial on handset.
- 30 Caller ID memory with Time/Date (FSK & DTMF type)
- Auto detection of FSK and DTMF caller ID signal.
- Caller ID with call waiting (CIDCW).
- 20 memory dial on base unit.
- Base unit with last number redial.
- LCD and handset keypad with backlit.
- Tone/Pulse dialing mode selectable.
- Change channel during Conversation.
- Flash time programmable.
- Ring volume adjustable for both handset and base.
- Voice volume adjustable for both handset and base.
- Handset with power saving function.
- Low battery alert and display.
- Built- in voice security circuit (Scrambler).
- Auto answer and auto hang up.
- Transferring a call between handsets and base.
- Out-of-range alert.
- Battery charge indicator.
- Fast charge.
- Adjustable Keypad volume on Handset.
- Real time clock on handset.
- Talk-time display on handset.
- Auto power control designed.
- Free call from Skype to Skype
- Dialing via SkypeOut
- Receiving call from PSTN
- Distinctive ringing between Skype and PSTN
- Skype contacts available on handset
- Making Skype call and PSTN call simultaneously
- Call Log : Missed / Received / Dialed
I wonder how the call quality is? Hopefully better than CB radio. Imagine having this product 15-30 years ago when you had to pay for a long distance phone call to your girlfriend/boyfriend who was in the next town over but outside your local calling area. Could have saved hundreds per month! It probably has some niche applications like rural areas, tree loggers, etc. Maybe I'll ask for a review unit. Let me know what you think of this product and how it can be useful by posting a comment.