ooVoo, a competitor to Skype today announced 4-way video chat that works on iOS and Android devices. I had a chance to speak with ooVoo representatives to discuss the news and of course, I used ooVoo during our conference call, as seen here:
ooVoo, is a large social video-chat provider with 54 million registered subscribers. With the launch of ooVoo’s new mobile apps with support for 4 simultaneous video streams, they are currently the only major video conferencing product offering this - and for free. It actually supports a total of up to 12 video participants on one call for free and you simply swipe your finger across your Apple or Android device to view 4 at a time or you can view a single participant full-screen by double-tapping.
Clearly, Skype needs to step up their game for >2 video group calling - their new 'unreleased' and cool Windows 8 Modern UI app not-withstanding. I've already griped about how Skype charges a premium for group calling here and here. Skype may be the big dog, but with ooVoo sporting 54 million members, they're nipping at Skype's heels with better group video calling capabilities.
The new ooVoo product upgrades across mobile platforms allow users to:
- Host four simultaneous video streams at once on screen – for free – on iOS or Android mobile devices in high quality (over 240 devices supporting 4-way)
- Gain deep integration into the native Android address book using the Google Social API
- Take advantage of ooVoo’s Android widget that shows online friends, missed calls and enables one-touch chat session starts plus calls straight from their phone or tablet home screen
- Enjoy the first optimized, multi-party communications experience for new, high-speed LTE mobile networks
- Stay always available -- the new ooVoo mobile app provides subscribers with push notifications, making them always on and always reachable
- Text chat with anyone during a video call on both iOS and Android
- Get improvements to the user experience that make ooVoo easier and fun to use
“Multi-party video-chat is the most social thing one can do on mobile, and with the launch of ooVoo’s four-screen mobile apps we’re creating an easy and free way to let more friends get together, participate and be a part of each other’s worlds – which bring us all closer together,” said Jay Samit, president of ooVoo. “ooVoo is the marriage of communications and social. ooVoo gives everyone the ability to share experiences with friends as they happen regardless of location or device.”
ooVoo also sports Facebook integration with over 2 million Facebook users. The newer Facebook app shows you which of your friends currently have the app. If they don't have ooVoo you can still talk with them using just their browser (leveraging Java). According to ooVoo, they are the #7 app on Android (Google Play) and the #1 utility on Facebook and in the Top 10 on Apple's App Store.
It is available for immediate download from iPhone App Store and Google Play.