· 1 salmon fillet with pin bones removed
· Sprigs of fresh dill
· 1 cup canning/pickling salt
· 1 cup brown sugar
· 1 tbs. crushed juniper berries
· 1 tbs. crushed pink peppercorns
· 1 tsp. freshly ground pepper
· 2 tbs. dry red wine (merlot or pinot noir)
· 2 tbs. good rum or vodka
Place the salmon on plastic wrap skin side down. Layer the fresh dill directly on to the flesh of the salmon.
Mix the cure ingredients together into a paste and spread over the fillet. Wrap tightly and put in a non-reactive dish to catch the liquid that will be drawn from the salmon. Leave in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. The salmon can be weighted during the process to create a denser product.
Remove from the refrigerator, rinse and pat dry. Slice thinly and avoid cutting the skin.
Serve with Toast and cream cheese, bagels, eggs or even in pasta.