- 2 tablespoons canola oil, plus more for brushing tomatoes
- 1 or 2 jalapeños, depending upon desired heat (medium or hot)
- 1 small red onion quartered
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 2 large tomatoes halved and seeded
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1lime, juiced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
Heat grill to high.
Brush all vegetables with oil. Grill on both sides until charred and soft.
Transfer everything to a food processor; add the limejuice, salt and pepper, and process until smooth. Add the cilantro and pulse a few times. Transfer to a bowl and serve as an accompaniment to fajitas or other Mexican entrées or with tortilla chips.