The smartphone has become indispensable as a traveling companion. It’s almost always better than whatever navigation and audio options which come with a vehicle. Even with Android Auto or Apple CarPlay, there are lots of limitations.
This is why we typically use our phone for everything we can while driving. We like Waze – although occasionally Google Maps is needed for accuracy. When it comes to music we switch between the Apple Podcast App, Slacker, Amazon Music and Apple Music.
Typically we use a magnetic mount to the car vent. We have found this is a good solution – not really perfect though. With an iPhone XS Max for example, going over very rough roads can occasionally dislodge the heavier phone, sending it flying around the car.
This is why we were excited to get our hands on the Tech Armor Wireless Car Charger, Air Vent Car Mount which supports 10W charging.
Here are some of the features from the company:
- Wireless Qi Charging: provides a safe wireless charge for all Qi-enabled devices in various modes from standard 5W, to 7.5W and 10W.
- Compatible with the newly released Apple iPhone XS, XS Max and XR (along with the existing iPhone X and 8 Plus models).
- Quick installation: Plug the included Micro USB cable into the wireless charger and connect the USB-A side into your car’s power port or a separate USB car charger to allow fast charging. Slide the vent mount fingers securely into air vent slots.
- Safe and secure hold: Your device is securely held by anti-scratch & anti-slip rubber material base padding for a strong and safe grip through the roughest terrain, allowing for worry-free travel.
- Safe, one-handed operation: Place your wireless, Qi-enabled device down onto the charger so it makes contact with the bottom grip. Gravity pushes the two sides of the charger together to automatically grip your phone. Lift with one hand to remove.
- Adjustable viewing angle: The swivel ball joint allows for complete rotation of your device so you can enjoy landscape or portrait viewing of your device while charging.
- Backed by the Tech Armor 10-Year Warranty
In short, we love it. Especially the fact it is spring-loaded, meaning when the phone is removed, the side clamps open to make it easier to extract the device. When the phone is placed back in, the side clamps close to hold the device.
There is an optional adhesive mount for vehicles like the Lexus NX which has poor vent placement for phone mounting.
Once mounted, you can adjust the device as needed, making this a great solution when the phone placement obstructs the center console.
Two areas to be aware of are, when you swipe between apps, your finger might rub against the plastic clasps at the bottom – they keep the phone in place. Also, there is no cigarette lighter adapter included.
We cannot recommend the Tech Armor Wireless Car Charger, Air Vent Car Mount more strongly. It is a great way to integrate the phone into your driving, without the safety issues inherent in holding the phone in your hand. This plus the wireless charging function mean you no longer have to worry about your battery level and range anxiety again.
If you act quickly, you can save money as well. Normally, this device retails for $29.99 but for a short time, you can pick one up for $22.75.