But what if you could take an ordinary cell phone and insert it into jackets which enable you to add to the device's functionality. A DECT jacket for example would turn your cell phone into a fixed-mobile device allowing you the best of wireless worlds. You could have a WiFi jacket and even a car stereo jacket which allows your device to seamlessly integrate with the car stereo.
While this may seem a bit far-fetched, a company named Modu already has a 2.5G GSM phone which will do some of these things. The company is in talks and has signed agreements with a number of cell phone providers worldwide and it will be interesting to see if this advance in communications changes how cell phones are made and marketed.
- SKY MobileMedia's SKY-MAP Powers the modu Ecosystem
- modu Forms Strategic Partnership with VimpelCom
- moduUnveils Tiny, Modular Phone
- modu Announces Widespread Industry Support for the World's First Modular Mobile Phone
- modu and Tele Atlas Join Forces to Combine Mobile Connectivity and Personal Navigation Content