Congratulations to RIM… A very special company responsible for helping transform the way the world works. I give the company tremendous credit for improving global productivity on a scale never seen before.
RIM’s creation of the email on the go market shows how technology can change the world for the better. Concepts like the fax machine, voicemail, IVR, ACDs, IP PBXs, etc have made the world a more productive place and in the process increased the standard of living of the entire world.
The Canadian company recently sent me some milestones they have reached. What is not on the list is they helped start a mobile device race which is now responsible for billions of dollars of mobile data use. RIM along with a slew of other companies have changed the way we look at mobile devices.
There is a downside to all this technology of course. Many of us have lost our down time and our personal lives are now full of technology and some of email in bed, the bathroom (not me) and just about everywhere else.
But such are the downsides of technological innovation… Dogs come with fleas but in the end we should thank companies like RIM for allowing us to all have a better standard of living and making us more productive.
- In January, RIM shipped its 50 millionth BlackBerry smartphone.
- Verizon Wireless announced earlier this week that it has already sold 1 million BlackBerry Storm smartphones.
- It was 10 years ago this month that RIM first launched the BlackBerry solution. Today, BlackBerry is available in over 150 countries from over 425 carriers and national distribution partners.
- RIM continues to grow. RIM hired approx. 4,000 employees globally last year and surpassed the 12,000 employee mark in January.
- RIM’s BlackBerry Infrastructure routes over three Petabytes (that’s 3,000,000,000,000,000 bytes) of traffic each month.