We broke the news NotPetya caused $10 billion dollars of damage – we scoured SEC filings and news reports to reach this conclusion.
Another company hit was French Saint-Gobain who took a $230 million loss of sales due to NotPetya. England-based Reckitt Benckiser Group Plc. Lost $129 million in sales as a result of this malware.
Mondelez didn’t specify how much the attack cost so we did the math for you. They earned $5.99 billion in the second quarter and specified there was a 5% drop in sales or $300 million. Maersk said the attack cost them up to $300 million as well.
Nuance apparently got off easy with only a $15 million hit.
Notpetya – showed how hackers or nations could devastate their targets by making computers virtually useless. The trend continues.
A new report from IBM X-Force Incident Response and Intelligence Services (IRIS) shows that these attacks have been on the rise, posing a growing threat to a wide variety of businesses that may not consider themselves an obvious target.
Key findings include:
- Massive destruction, massive costs: Destructive attacks are costing multinational companies $239 million on average. As a point of comparison, this is 61 times more costly than the average cost of a data breach ($3.92 million).
- The long road to recovery: The debilitating nature of these attacks requires a lot of resources and time to respond and remediate, with companies on average requiring 512 hours from their incident response team. It’s also common for organizations to use multiple companies to handle the response and remediation, which would increase hours even further.
- RIP laptops: A single destructive attack destroys 12,000 machines per company on average — creating quite a tab for new devices in order to get companies’ workforce back in action.
How should your organization respond to keep from being a victim?
One way is to follow this blog – specifically our security-related posts.
Here are some recent ones worth reading:
- SecurityScorecard Joins IBM Security App Exchange Community
- Altitude Networks Gets $9M For Cloud Collaboration Security Platform
- Capital One Has Multi-Billion Dollar Breach. It Didn’t have to Happen
- Mimecast Launches New Cyber Alliance Program
- Armis Discovered Urgent11 Affects Tens of Millions of Mission Critical Devices
- New NSA Security Arm a Joke Unless it Does This
- SIM Swap Fraud And Fraudulent Account Transfers Could Cost Carriers
In addition to the bottom row of the infographic above, we have put together cybersecurity essentials – a simple list which will help most organizations become far more secure.
We also recommend you get a free evaluation of your cybersecurity risk from an MSP/MSSP immediately.